Passion. People. Progress.
Passion for Justice
I am passionate about seeking the truth and pursuing justice. Sometimes justice means a case should not be charged. Sometimes justice means treatment court options. Sometimes justice means a lengthy term of incarceration.
Every case requires a careful review of the evidence as well as communication with victims, witnesses, law enforcement and community partners in order to ensure a just outcome. As District Attorney, my focus will be exactly that: seeking just outcomes for all involved.
- Justice means reducing crime. To achieve that, our system of justice must be built on accountability and rehabilitation. For many, accountability alone doesn’t keep people from committing crime again. People need help – and that means we also need to get them the addiction treatment, mental healthcare or job training they need to build a positive, successful life.
- Justice means using our taxpayer dollars wisely. Incarceration is expensive. That’s why I will focus our jail space on the most dangerous offenders. This will also free up resources for more addiction treatment and mental healthcare many people need.
- Justice means preventing crime in the first place. Smart district attorneys act before crimes become cases – and I will be a DA who takes a proactive role in prevention. I have a record of using education and training to prevent domestic violence, elder abuse and child abuse.
The work of the DA’s Office is truly about community safety – your safety and your family’s safety. But trust and transparency need to be the foundation of that work. That means that the DA isn’t just in the courtroom.
As your District Attorney, I will be in community, building trust with you, with law enforcement, our judges, community organizations and youth. I will increase communication and transparency by:
- Having monthly “Lanee Listens” community gatherings. I will go to different parts of the county and make myself available to you to talk about issues and sharing their ideas.
- Online education about the criminal justice system. Education empowers people – and in our country, our justice system is YOUR justice system. I am excited to do something new – to share with you what the DA’s office does, how a trial is conducted, what jurors can expect if selected to sit on a jury, and what occurs at various court hearings.
- Online education to increase your safety. Navigating the justice system is daunting. So in addition to what I say above, I want to use the power of education to increase your safety. I will provide online tools so that you can learn about protection orders, such as who qualifies for a protection order, where and how to file the paperwork and what to expect from a court hearing.
- Greater use of social media. We know that most people are using social media as a source for getting news about what’s happening in their community and with their neighbors. I will implement a bigger social media presence to inform you about what is going on in the DA’s Office.
My hope is that after you’ve read all that is above that you know I will be a District Attorney who recognizes that we are all in this together. No one person can make our community the safe, inclusive, welcoming place we all want Lincoln County to be. Good leadership is bringing people together to create the community we all want. That’s why I am committed to working not only for you, but also with you.
I currently have positive, working relationship with law enforcement agencies, community partners, and judges. I have conducted several trainings on various topics including domestic violence, strangulation, mental health, and firearm dispossession. And I plan on building on the work I’ve already started.
As your District Attorney, I will continue to cultivate relationships with community partners in order to tackle the difficult issues. Some of those difficult issues include persons experiencing a mental health crisis who end up incarcerated. Another example is the homeless population in Lincoln County who wind up in the criminal justice system. My goal will be to work closely with community partners to come up with solutions that will not only benefit the community, but also to help those vulnerable populations get what they need to live out their lives in a positive manner.